Ecotourism & Responsible Travel
One Horizon was honored by the Kenyan Tourist Board (KTB) by having its tours included in its Signature Experience Collection for 2020-21. This prestigious award was preceded by another which we are also immensely proud of… the 2017 Responsible Business Award presented by Urban Adventures. Both these awards recognize the leadership role of One Horizon in responsible tourism
As a member of The International Ecotourism Society, One Horizon adheres to the covenants of the society that embrace the following principles and practices:
- Minimizing the physical, social, behavioural, and psychological impacts of tourism on our communities and the environs
- Building environmental and cultural awareness and respect.
- Providing positive experiences for both visitors and hosts.
- Providing direct financial benefits for conservation.
- Generating financial benefits for both local people and communities.
- Delivering memorable interpretative experiences to visitors that help raise sensitivity to Kenya’s political, environmental, and social climates.
- Designing, constructing and operating low-impact facilities.
- Recognizing the rights and spiritual beliefs of the Indigenous people in our communities and working in partnership with them to create empowerment.
As a not for profit organisation, One Horizon’s core emphasis is in helping communities step up and away from poverty. Our sustainable programs are partly funded by travelers who choose to be with us as part of the journey for our communities.